Does your smile seem a little different lately? Does it appear your teeth are getting longer or your gums are becoming more flushed with color? If you have not been caring for them properly, it is possible you are beginning to experience signs of gum disease. Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is the result of an infection to your gum tissues. If left untreated, it is possible for your gums to become destabilized and eventually lead to a loss of teeth.
Protect your smile at all times from gum disease. Here are some signs and symptoms to watch for:
– Always check your gum tissue on all corners of your mouth for signs of swelling, tenderness, and a general increase in redness.
– Look for signs of bleeding when eating foods or practicing oral hygiene habits such as brushing and flossing.
– Carefully inspect all of your teeth to ensure they are not loose, wobbly, or rotating.
– Keep track of how often you have bad breath, as recurring bad breath can often be a sign of gum disease.
– Inspect the length of your teeth to ensure they are not becoming longer as the result of your gums pulling back away from them.
– Exercise caution with any medications you may take, as they can often cause dry mouth symptoms, a known cause of gum disease.
– Avoid dangerous habits for your teeth such as smoking and chewing tobacco, as they can greatly increase your risk for gum disease.
If you would like to speak with Dr. David J. Berg and our team about gum disease, please schedule an appointment at our dentist office of Studio 1 Dental in Sacramento, California, by calling 916.567.0900. We will do our best to help you in any way we can.